Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Miss Misery by Andy Greenwald (2006)

There was a review on Amazon for this book that started out with a statement like, "Let me give the kids a bath and put them down." And then it went on to say that if you can relate to that statement this isn't the book for you. This novel deals with LIVEJOURNALS. Yup. Remember them? I tend to feel that they are so 2004, but then I remember this book was published in 2006. I had a LJ once, and wrote in it once. I mostly had it so I could follow other people's LJ.

The weird thing about this book is there is a doppelganger in it. Yup a honest to goodness real life evil twin to the protagonist, whom I guess would also be the antagonist...

The author also wrote a handbook on emo as well as Nothing Feels Good about the history of punk rock and emo. And mind you I guess you could say I was an emo kid. I had the black hair and bangs in my face and I listened to The Used and Taking Back Sunday. And I guess you could say that because of that what really made this book for me was the Emo girl from Salt Lake. Her music was the only references I knew in the book. I also didn't care to look up any of the other bands or songs the author threw out.

I read this book quickly. I think it fits well into my life right now. I understand where the characters are comming from. I'm glad it came first in the stack of books I ordered for my summer reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment